EP 204: CCR Wisdom Tree – A conversation with David Deutsch
In This Episode
David Deutsch is an A-List Copywriter in the truest sense… he started at Ogilvy and Mather (when Ogilvy was still leading the troops), pioneered the “magalog” style of direct mail sales letters, and has written for or consulted just about every major player in the industry for the over three decades.
David is the perfect person to add some branches of knowledge in this wisdom tree episode.
Many great moments in this one… my favorite was hearing David describe what it feels like to have the increasingly rare experience of reading great copy, and what more copywriters can do to get their copy to that level.
Listen to Copy Chief Radio #204 A Wisdom Tree conversation with David Deutsch
- 00:51 – Find out what David learned about himself while growing up near the carnival-like atmosphere of world-famous Coney Island (It just might be responsible for his success as a copywriter)
- 3:47 – Did you know that lion tamers have a secret death wish? Weird lessons about psychology that direct-response legends like John Carlton & Dan Kennedy have confessed to David over the years
- 13:35 – Think an “A-List” copywriter like David Deutsch doesn’t get imposter syndrome? Think again… See his new strategy to fight it
- 21:11 – Sex, drugs, and rock & roll: Good things usually come in 3’s… David shows why this is especially true when revising & preparing your copy for “showtime”
- 21:58 – Most people want to get better at copywriting… but what about “copy thinking?” Discover lessons like these that has Kevin calling David a “relentless” copy coach
- 23:03 – See what David calls the “fastest hack to get better at writing.” HINT: If you can talk, you can take advantage of this hack
- 26:43 – Discover the “dinner table effect.” It’s the one thing that great copy should give to prospects… and it’s NOT about the product itself
- 24:42 – David reveals why it pays BIG to show that you care about your prospects… AND why they should be able to easily explain your pitch to their friends
- 28:03 – What does David’s secret to writing great copy have to do with intelligent 12-year-olds? See how this little secret can quietly create HUGE wins
- 31:44 “Oh GOD… I love when that happens…” A tip from David that helps you to recognize when you’ve got world-class copy on your hands
These show bullets written by copywriter and Copy Chief member, Michael McGovern – you can learn about working with him right here https://www.michaeljmcgovern.
- Learn more about David here copychief.com/davidtraining
- Download the Episode Here
- Leave a review here – STITCHER | SPOTIFY | ITUNES | GOOGLE PLAY
Plus… whenever you’re ready:
- Become a member of Copy Chief here
- Join the waitlist for our new freelancer program – Escape Velocity
- Learn more about our Freelancer Coaching Program – Real Free Life
First time listening?