EP 197: Can Harmon Brothers make stock tips funny? (ad breakdown with creators)
In This Episode
You’ve surely seen the hilarious viral video ads for products like Squatty Potty (with the famous ice cream-pooping unicorn), Purple Mattress, Lume Deodorant, and Poo Pourri.
Those ads are made by Harmon Brothers and have single-handedly revolutionized the world of Direct Response marketing by using bold humor to interrupt the long-running pattern of “dire warning” themed ad campaigns.
Well, now Harmon Brothers and superstar Creative Director Jonny Vance have taken on the traditionally stodgy financial newsletter industry with a hilarious new video that is lighting up the market.
Aaron DeHoog, the Executive Publisher at Banyan Hill, became inspired by the idea of making a short, humorous video ad for one of their trade alert products (Profits Unlimited) after seeing Jonny Vance present a keynote at Copy Chief Live back in October.
They spoke at the event, then went to work distilling what normally takes thousands of words of long-form copy or an hour plus of webinar content to sell into a tight and incredibly entertaining video of just three minutes and five seconds.
In this episode I broke down the key sales elements of the sales video for Profits Unlimited using the updated 4×6 Copywriting Formula…
Finally, I interviewed Aaron DeHoog and Jonny Vance together on the Chief Chat (our twice-monthly live copy critique webinar) and learned the answers to these (and more) questions…
- What inspired you to take a shot at taking such a different approach to selling a financial newsletter, which are traditionally sold through long-form copy methods?
- Why did you choose Paul Mampilly over any other guru for this project?
- What was the process of distilling the message down into 3-minute video?
- Which “critical” sales elements did you have to leave out to keep to time?
- How involved were you in the process of scripting and shooting the video? Were you on set?
- Who developed the landing page? Banyan Hill or HB?
- Plus, you’ll hear how the early numbers and sales projections are looking.
- Check out the replay of that interview here
- Here is the video with the parts of the 4×6 highlighted in real time…
- Visit Profits Unlimited
- Download the Episode Here
Plus… whenever you’re ready:
- Join as a member of Copy Chief here
- Join the waitlist for our new freelancer program – Escape Velocity
- Learn more about our Freelancer Coaching Program – Real Free Life